Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:38:32 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Richard Schilling <rschi@rsmba.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: new error building jdk14]

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 12:09:10PM -0800, Richard Schilling wrote:
> Sean McNeil wrote:
> >For amd64, you must use java 1.5.  This is the only version available
> >for that platform.  I have been using jdk1.5 for a long time now and it
> >works very well for me.
>
> I think I'll take that advice to heart.... :-)
>
> I forced the build, thinking that the ONLY_FOR_ARCHS setting was
> overlooked.  The reasoning being that the i386 code should compile fine
> under gcc.  Lesson learned.....

You could probably do it with a lot of messing around, but it would be
very painful.

> >Also, you should consider moving to 6-current.  5.4 has issues with the
> >linux emulation that cause building jdk1.5 a bit of a headache.  There
> >are no such issues with 6-current.
>
> Is 6-current stable enough to be used in production?  I'm having issues
> getting a kernel compiled in 5.4 as well. Was kind of worried about
> jumping to 6 until I knew what was wrong.

6.0 has just been released and is almost universally being reported as
more stable than 5.4.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org