Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:02:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPCS Utility

Ollivier Robert stands accused of saying:
> According to Michael Smith:
> > Development on this is currently underway; if you're Tcl literate (or are
> > willing to learn & want to take part regardless) then we'd love to have
>
> I hope it is not restricted to Tcl gurus... I'm afraid I don't like Tcl but
> can speak Perl5 easily... I know Perl5 is not in /usr/src and Tcl is but
> that should not be a problem :-)

I should have been more careful with that issue :

 - We will be using Tcl for parts of the FCF (FreeBSD Config Facility), not
   least because I expect to be writing slabs of the core.
 - Understanding Tcl (even in a read-only capacity) will help lots,
   especially in the early stages of development.
 - I am not interested in language wars.  If you want to write a module,
   you should be able to do it however you like, as long as you can meet
   the module interface rules.

The planned modular design of the FCF specifically avoids stipulating
any given language for modules; if you feel the need to write your
module in Forth, as long as you can manage character I/O you can play.

If your interpreter comes in a shared library, we'll just load you and run
you in a seperate namespace.  If you're run by a seperate program, we'll
fork you off and talk to you on a pipe.  I can see no reason for bigotry.