Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 22:07:05 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop dead, suggestions?

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 15 May 2006 at 10:48, Warner Losh wrote:
>

>> Does anybody have any recommendations?
>>

> I have an IBM ThinkPad T41.  I like it. If I had to buy a new laptop,
> I would give serious consideration to the Apple dual core Intel
> units.  I saw one at BSDCan and I loved it.  I think it was US$1800
> or something, but my memory is very vague on that.
>
> Would you consider an Apple?

I don't think it's a good idea to run anything besides OS X on an Apple
machine.
Unless being a FreeBSD-core member nowadays really only consists of
project-management-tasks and presentations to suit-wearing investors, he
will want to have a laptop with more than one mouse-button ;-)

Besides, the MacBook Pro is nice - I just don't think it is useful
without OS X.

For a full-featured laptop with serial, parallel, IE1394, USB2,
PCcard+Express-Card, BT2, IR, IEEE802.11x, GB-ethernet take a look at
Fujtisu-Siemens' latest lifebook E8120 offerings.
They're also very durable (although a bit heavy), I've got a E8010 and
it's a nice workstation.

cheers,
Rainer