Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:35:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Tom Torrance at home <tom@tomqnx.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE: nrsa0 T4000 doesn't honor "no rewind"? SCSI errs in logs

> How about the following?
>
> 1) Receive the error.
> 2) Verify that it is not a harmless device quirk.
> 3) Map the error back to the application for action.
> 4) Until the application or the operator does something positive to
>    re-establish positioning, greet further attempts to write with a
>    media write-protected error.
> 5) It might be possible to allow the tape operator a mechanism to
>    turn off the condition (the 'ignore' option) in some harmless
>    way. Perhaps an 'mt status'?

Steps 1-4 was exactly what I was proposing. The positive steps can be by
the operator via mt(1) or via a backup program. Step 5 I hadn't
considered. Would a config option for the kernel be okay for this (e.g.,
SA_PASSIVE_DRIVER)?

> There might be some actions that would/should be allowable, like
> writing tape marks - you would be much better qualified to judge those.

Hmm.  I'd think not.

> On the face of it, though, this approach might satisfy your concerns
> (and mine). The downside is all the queries you might receive from
> people puzzled as to why they would suddenly get a media write-
> protected error from a tape that they have been happily writing to...
> Good explanations/instructions in the error logs would help in
> this regard.

Yes. This is something I often fail to do. It's hard to figure out who the
audience is in some of these systems.

> Particular care should be taken that only the problem
> device/app is affected for systems with multiple tape drives.

Obviously.

> Obviously something like this would have to be properly tested with
> the most common backup systems to ensure that there is not some
> potentially harmful application interaction.
>
> What do you think?

Good positive suggestions. To summarize:

	+ We agree for steps 1-4.
	+ Step 5 could be a config option (?)
	+ The man pages should explain these actions.

I don't want to go too far with this. I'm just trying to stabilize *this*
driver. I'm more interested in seeing whether a new driver based upon
the TapeAlert working group proposals (see http://www.hp.com/tape/tapealert)
is worth doing.

-matt