Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:31:08 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Logo Contest

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 03:49 pm, Peter Kieser wrote:
> When the Project decides that political correctness is more important
> than a tradition dating back over 20 years, something is wrong.
>
> Personally I really don't care if a user selects another OS based on
> the fact that we have a devil as our mascot. They are better off on
> another OS anyways, because they're likely to cause problems --
> because people with that kind of attitude are likely to bring up
> other "issues" with our "product".
>
> --Peter

Do you object to FreeBSD having a logo that portrays the fact that it's
a professional grade operating system?  Beastie is staying; but Beastie
only portrays one side of FreeBSD.  The professional side of FreeBSD
deserves attention and expression.

I don't see a new logo as bowing to Political Correctness as much as
improving communication.  Images project messages; and frequently
Beastie (inadvertently) sends the wrong message.  Once I explain the
history behind Beastie, everyone whom I've talked to has been okay with
it.  The problem is that I often have to resolve the Beastie issue
before the listener is ready to hear about computer security,
reliability, etc.

Also, please keep in mind, it's not always about whether we get new
users.  FreeBSD's image may affect whether a business chooses to
associate itself with FreeBSD by creating FreeBSD drivers for its
products or supporting FreeBSD development.  Business is people; and
people are not perfectly rational.  PR issues influence business
decisions now more than ever.

Andrew Gould