Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:21:13 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stuck console

Kazutaka YOKOTA writes:

> >On exit from X last night my vty console did not recover.
>
> What did it look? A blank screen? Garbage?

The text output by the Mach64 X server on startup via startx was still on
the console screen.

> >Normally I login
> >via vty0 and launch startx. Am running the XF86_Mach64 server.
>
> Which version of XFree86 are you running?  Did the X server
> actually stop? Or, was it hanging the console?

3.3.1. The X server was no longer running. Something was hanging the
console, I couldn't find it. Looking at the text I would guess the problem
happened Monday morning when I first launched startx, and didn't happen
last night when I exited. I use an alias to startx:

PeeCee: {1002} alias Startx
startx & ; sleep 60 ; exit
PeeCee: {1003}

The login prompt never made it on the vty, altho a getty was running.

> >Today, I telent'ed in from another system and launched startx.
>
> Did it start the X server successfully?

Yup. Fired up exmh and posted the first message in this thread.

> >So for now
> >I'm functioning without having to reboot. Alt-F[1-4] do nothing. The
> >Scroll Lock key does nothing.
>
> If you are in the X session, you should be using Ctl-Alt-F[1-4] :-)

I wasn't too clear. Alt-F[1-4] did nothing when I had a text display. Ctrl
didn't help either. After starting X from a remote telnet session (onto my
problem console) that X session worked perfectly fine, altho inability to
Ctrl-Alt-F1 sorta makes sense as the system console was not the parent of
the X session.

If you missed my other message, accidentally typed "Ctrl-Alt-Delete"
before remembering what that ment. Put the problem to rest. Had to
appologize to a couple of Samba and AFP users who were connected at the
time.  :-(

Thanks for trying.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nebula.tbe.com