Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:57:16 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ken Keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Subject:   Holy Wars (was: Smaller, Dedicated tools and Greg's Daemon News Article)

On Monday, 14 December 1998 at 10:21:00 +0200, Nadav Eiron wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 December 1998 at 23:29:40 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>>> A recent email chat combined with Greg's article have completely convinced
>>> me that I should learn a little bit more programming in order to make my
>>> life easier.
>>>
>>> Emacs, Tex,
>>
>> Don't go overboard.  Emacs, OK, but TeX might help you find positive
>> things about Microsoft Wart.
>
> I'd say you weren't too far: I use Xemacs + LaTeX for practicaly all of my
> writing (except for Hebrew, but luckily for you, that's probably not a
> problem for you :-) ).

I'm sure Hebrew's more of a problem for me than it is for you :-)

> Especially if you write scientific stuff (which, by your .sig, I'd
> suspect you are) there's nothing that beats LaTeX. At least in our
> discipline (Computer Science), LaTeX is the Lingua Franca for all
> scientific work. I'd say reading/writing LaTeX source code is
> practicaly a requirement for being a researcher in theoretical
> CS. The standard reference on it (Leslie Lamport's book) is, well,
> not easy to read, but it's still worth the effort (and I heard there
> are other good books for it).

I used LaTeX years ago, before I gave it up for TeX.  When I wrote my
first book, O'Reilly asked me to write it in troff, which I did after
some objections.  To my astonishment, it was *much* easier.  I've
almost completely stopped using TeX since then.  Yes, I know that you
can get good results from it, but it's one of those programs that made
people avoid me for hours after I used it.

Greg