Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:19:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@unixfreak.org (Dima Dorfman)
To:        vsoto@correo.polimeros.uson.mx (Victor Soto)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moused and S3 VIRGE.

Victor Soto wrote:

> Hi!
> I just installed a (PCI) S3 VIRGE card to use instead of the crappy SiS
> 5598 on
> board video adapter.
> When I turn on my pc it hangs when it arrives to moused.
> I tried a ps/2 and a serial mouse with the same results.
> If I boot from the 4.1.1 cd and try to activate moused it fails with the
> correct settings.

I'm using a simliar setup (you didn't specify which ViRGE you've, so I
can't say if it's identical) on two machines (one's 4.2-R, and one's
5.0-C) and have no such problems.  Could you provide more information,
such as..

How does it hang?  Does it panic?  Do things like alt+f1/alt+f2 work
(they won't work when it's trying to boot--disable moused in rc.conf
and try to start it manually when the system is in multi-user mode)?
Can you ping it?  Does everything else work if moused isn't running
(obviously X won't)?  If you revert to the old card, does it still
hang?

Also, what version of FreeBSD is this?  You mentioned you have a
4.1.1-R CD, but is that what's installed on the disk?

Please copy this list when replying to this message.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for PGP public key.