Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:49:19 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
Cc:        'User Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS Question

--------------enigD55BD1E905DA0180AD30608D

DAve wrote:
> Good morning.
>=20
> I have been asked by my co-workers and sales why I always create a A=20
> record for new domains we host instead of a CNAME.
>=20
> The issue I run into lately with some domains is that a client has a=20
> website with a industry host such as frank.relator.com and he wants to =

> have DNS point www.frank.com to frank.relator.com with a CNAME. The=20
> client does not want an A record for frank.com.
>=20
> Somewhere, in a class far far away, I was taught a DNS zone had to have=
=20
> a A record to function properly. I can't seem to locate anything in the=
=20
> RFCs.
>=20
> Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.

In terms of web service, you can use either an A record or a CNAME record=

to provide the address part of a site's URL[*].  As far as the web server=
 is
concerned, it looks for the 'Host=3D' line in the HTTP packet to decide w=
hat
name-based VHOST to dispatch the query to internally, and doesn't necessa=
rily
do any DNS lookups at all.  Web clients just do a gethostbyname(3) or get=
addrinfo(3) call to resolve the  site name into an IP, and anything suppo=
rted by those (/etc/hosts, NIS, LDAP, DNS) will do the trick.

In terms of the DNS a 'Zone' is a delegated block of the name space under=

a single administrative control.  Typically with BIND this maps onto a si=
ngle
'Zone file' containing all of the DNS resource records for the zone.  The=
 only records a zone *has* to have are:

   * 1 SOA record, with the zone serial number

   * Some number of NS records giving the nameservers for the zone.

It's perfectly permissible to have a zone that doesn't contain any A
records (or AAAA records) and in fact, reasonably common: reverse domains=

generally contain mostly PTR records.=20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Possibly others, but A and CNAME are the vast majority.  Being able t=
use SRV for webservers would be cool.

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW