Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 12:54:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI problem

> As you can see, the two network cards share the same int line, even
> though the kernel believes they are at int 11 and 10 respectively.
>
> Any ideas on what can be going on ? The motherboard is an Intel Zappa.

Yeah.  The kernel is wrong.  The PCI bus is right.

By default, the kernel will have assigned "guesses" for devices.  This
derives from not having all devices in a "PlugNPlay" framework and/or
probe registration mechanism.  Windows95 calls this a "Resource Manager".

The cards have the same interrupt assigned by the PCI BIOS.  It is the
responsibility of the OS to understand PCI interrrupt multiplexing and
Deal With It(tm).

Very few OS's currently do this because almost all motherboard
manufacturers except the Intel OEM products division consider it
a mistake to not have an interrupt per PCI slot.

You will need to specifically override one of the cards idea of the
"correct" interrupt (some PCI card hardware supports jumpering of ISA
interrupts), you will need to override the single interrupt assignment
on the motherboard (not possible on some Intel boards), or you will
need to modify the interrupt handling mechanism (if it hasn't already
been done) to support demuxxing the cards.  In the last case, it is
correct for the cards to have the same interrupt.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.