Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:04:32 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: 5.0-RELEASE & VMWare 3.2

Hello, Brooks!

BD> From sys/i386/conf/NOTES:
BD> # CPU_DISABLE_CMPXCHG disables the CMPXCHG instruction on > i386 IA32
BD> # machines.  VmWare seems to emulate this instruction poorly, causing
BD> # the guest OS to run very slowly.  Enabling this with a SMP kernel
BD> # will cause the kernel to be unusable.
BD> You need a kernel with this option or compiled with "cpu I386_CPU".
 Thnx...

 Hmm... I need installer with special kernel... Is it possible without
 building full release?
 All my FreeBSD-equipped computers are production ones, so I could not
 try 5.0 on real hardware yet. And I don't have enough HDD space on
 my 4.x servers to hold CVS & build full 5.0-RELEASE only for custom
 kernel.

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev@serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |