Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:37:33 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org

Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> types:
> Doug Young wrote:
> > Same here ..... had forgotten about those messages because I haven't seen
> > one for a week or so
> If you look at the header's, most of the dup's seem to have
> austin.rr.com involved some where.

In examining them closely, what I found was that the bounces all came
from the same site, and all were rejected because the IP address of
some site - that was neither mine, or FreeBSDs - didn't have a reverse
DNS.

My conclusion is that the mail on the list (lists, actually - i see it
for a number of them) is holding mail for several days, then spitting
parts of it back, seemingly at random. Worse yet, their DNS is hosed
in a way that causes one recipient to reject it, meaning you also get
a bounce back from it. I believe that's a problem with their mailer as
well; the FreeBSD lists ask that errors from messages going through th
lists go back to them for correction.

I've complained to the people that the recieved line headers finger
more than once, and never seen a reply.

	<mike