Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:08:11 +0200
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk@easystreet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help, I can't upgrade BIND

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:56:03PM -0700, Bohdan Tashchuk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD, though I've used/administered other Unixes previously.
>
> I bought The Complete FreeBSD book and installed FreeBSD 3.2 which comes
> with it. Things went well. This is for my router/firewall/DNS server for my
> DSL connection.
>
> I set up BIND on FreeBSD to act as a cacheing DNS server. However, I
> noticed that sometimes my DNS queries from my internal computer were acting
> flakey. I noticed that quite often BIND on FreeBSD would fail to respond to
> domain queries from my internal computer. BIND would usually respond 5
> seconds later when the sender timed out and retransmitted.
>
> I determined that BIND 8.1.2 ships with FreeBSD 3.2, and from the ports
> stuff on the web I determined that BIND 8.2.1 is the current version. I
> decided to upgrade, since this behavior could well be a BIND bug.
>
> I used the ports mechanism to get BIND 8.2.1 and then did
>
> 	make
> 	make install
>
> I expected this to update various binaries, such as named. However, it
> didn't.
> I tracked this down to the fact that named was installed as part of FreeBSD
> 3.2 into
>
> 	/usr/sbin/named
>
> However, the named in the port was installed into
>
> 	/usr/local/sbin/named
>
> The default root search path finds the old named, rather than the new one.
>
> I studied the Makefile and found a
>
> 	post-install
>
> option. But I can't figure out quite what that does. I tried it anyway, but
> it doesn't overwrite the old named.
>
> My problem is that BIND is a large collection of executables and
> documentation. I could go in and manually delete the old named, for
> example, but how could I be sure I deleted all of the old stuff. For
> example, if I didn't find all the old DOC I would be reading obsolete man
> pages (assuming I have the same path problems for DOC as for the binaries).
>
> I guess my question is simple:
>
> 	How do I update BIND to the latest version
> 	and get rid of all the old stuff installed by
> 	FreeBSD 3.2 release?

To start the new named, add the following to /etc/rc.conf.local:

named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf -u bind -g bind"
named_enable="YES"

Regards

Udo Schweigert              || Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
Siemens AG, Siemens CERT    || Fax        : +49 89 636 41166
ZT IK 3                     || email      : Udo.Schweigert@mchp.siemens.de
D-81730 Muenchen / Germany  ||            : ust@cert.siemens.de
PGP fingerprint             || 2A 53 F6 A6 30 59 64 02  6B C4 E0 73 B2 C9 6C E7