Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:16:45 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg and mouse....

On 12/14/04 01:59 PM, Bomgardner,Jon  sat at the `puter and typed:
> <SNIP>
>
> I tried typing in 'xev' but got the error:
>
> xev: unable to open display ""
>
> I tried the man page on xev and did find the -display option but I don't
> know what to put after that as the parameter. It doesn't give any
> examples.

Probably something like -display :0.0
although you'll want to call:
xhost local:

before doing so.  This assumes you're on the latest xorg of course.

> When I run xdm from the > prompt I get:
>
> Shared object "libutil.so.3" not fund, required by "xdm"
>
> I assume this means I'm missing a file. After tracking some stuff down I
> found it should be in /usr/lib but it's not there. Any idea where I can
> get it?

That indicates a whole other problem.  You must have linked to an
older version of libutil when you built xorg.  I have
/lib/libutil.so.4, not 3.

BTW, what version of Xorg *are* you running?  What version of FreeBSD?
I must have missed it in your previous messages.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Jenning's Corollary:
  The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side
  down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.