Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:43:38 +0200
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@spoerlein.net>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Big Makefile patch for WARNS settings

On Sun, 11.10.2009 at 19:09:18 +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hi Ulrich,
>
> * Ulrich Spörlein <uqs@spoerlein.net> wrote:
> > Comments? Committers?
>
> Wouldn't it better to address the root of the problem while there? ;-)

It sure would, but someone[TM] would have to fix all problems for a
top-level dir in a short time frame before new code hits the repo. Or, we
might end up with individual WARNS on 98% of the subdirs and need a big
sweeping patch to then flip the default anyway, so why not now? It
raises the bar for new code entering the tree and we need individual
WARNS lowering anyway due to contrib code.

The only question then is, when do we want to churn. Right now when a
patch is available or do we wait and hope that someday all will be
better?

Anyway, interest seems low for such a big patch so I guess I'll have to
divvy it up for better digestion.

Regards,
Uli