Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/42137: Path MTU broken - initial too-large packet continuously resent

The following reply was made to PR kern/42137; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>
To: Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org,
	Steve Francis <sfrancis@expertcity.com>
Subject: Re: kern/42137: Path MTU broken - initial too-large packet continuously
 resent
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:07:02 -0700

 Actually, it would be our layer two load balancer that is not re-writing
 the icmps from the router correctly.  I was using ethereal to do a
 inspection of the packets but it doesn't seem to show the sequence
 number in the tcp header in the icmp.  Thanks!  I knew it had something
 to do with this blasted load balancer.  This is a foundery serveriron
 for all who might be interested

 But in any case, it still doesn't seem to be a 'good idea' for the stack
 to transmit packets (and keep re-transmitting them) that are above the
 MTU that it has for a certain host, does it?  or is this the only way it
 makes sense as it would be inefficient to have TCP re-check the MTU on
 every re-transmitted packet?   I'm certaintly no expert in this area...

 thanks again.

 Jeff