Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:36:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Bogdan Petculescu <bogdan@seismo.nrcan.gc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bogdan@mail.seismo.nrcan.gc.ca
Subject:   Re: ATAPI IDE problem

Bogdan Petculescu wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I try for the first time to install FreeBSD 3.2 from the Walnut Creek
> CD-ROM on a Pentium II/350MHz machine, and after booting the install
> kernel and setting up partitions, I get the message
>
> No CD-ROM devices found ! ...
>
> In "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, at page 100, it is written
> that I might use an ATAPI drive that does not fit the specification.
>
> This is what I have about the (indeed ATAPI IDE) CD-ROM:
>
> 1) The technical leaflet reads:
>    E-IDE, conforms to SFF8020 v1.2
> 2) The Award BIOS says:
>    ATAPI CDROM on IDE Secondary Slave, Mode 4
> 3) Windows 98 (was previously on the machine) said about it:
>    E-IDE CDROM 36X/AKW

It seems to prefer a CDROM that is a master. There has been a lot of
discussion of it not working when you have a slave and no secondary
master. My CDROM is the secondary master. I have a WD 3.1GB drive as
the secondary slave device.

Kent

> I tried to use UserConfig, but the result is the same, and there is
> no wcd device in any list thereof.
>
> Could you please help me ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bogdan Petculescu
> bogdan@seismo.nrcan.gc.ca
> (613) 992-3753

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html