Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:40:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: LOCALBASE vs PREFIX

In message <20001012173222.B48659@FreeBSD.org> Ade Lovett writes:
: Do you have separate locations for "/usr/X11R6" and "/usr/local",
: or does everything go under /software/{bin,...}

Generally we try to put everything in /software/...

: ie: is there a distinction between ${LOCALBASE} and ${X11BASE}

No.

Sometimes we'll put things in their traditional place.  I do this for
things that I want on my system (/software is a grotty amd map for the
many different types of machines that we support here) for performance
reasons.  I also so this when I'm "lazy" and don't want to jump
through the 4 pages of instructions needed to make this happen with
the current ports collection.

: If we're looking at some kind of stowage system, this might be
: the ideal time to actually stop installing *anything* in
: /usr/{X11R6,local}, and do a s?/software/?/usr/packages/? for
: the FreeBSD version of Warner's suggestion - I never really
: understood why X went in its own hierarchy, and using /usr/packages
: would free up /usr/local for truly _local_ stuff.

that might not be a bad idea.  It might not be a good idea either.
I'd like to be able to install into /usr/local for my personal stuff
since I have 3 systems and don't need the complexity that we need at
work (4 different FreeBSD versions, 2 different linux versions and 1
solaris version).

: One question, though.. in this scheme of things, where I have
: a package "foo" with a shared library "bar.so.2", where do I
: depend on it?
:
: 1. The actual location:
: 	/software/dist/foo-x.y/lib/libbar.so.2
:
: 2. The first linked location:
: 	/software/dist/foo/lib/libbar.so.2
:
: 3. The linked location in the "real" tree:
: 	/software/lib/libbar.so.2
:
: ??

We place it in 1 and link to it in 1 as well.  That way when the
default changes you don't screw things up.

I don't know if the concept of default is a good one, but that's what
we've done here.

: Can we leverage this to also have explicit inter-package version
: dependencies by virtue of the foo -> foo-x.y link?

I don't know.

Warner