Date:      Mon, 1 Aug 2016 14:25:27 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Bernhard_Fr=C3=B6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        "Matthias Petermann (Business)" <matthias@petermann-it.de>
Cc:        ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators/virtualbox-ose build failure

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Matthias Petermann (Business)
<matthias@petermann-it.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> during the last build of my custom package repository I did experience a
> strange issue. I am using Synth, the build host is running FreeBSD
> 10.3/amd64. For the last build run, I receive an error:
>
> In file included from
> /construction/xports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.0.26/src/=
recompiler/cpu-exec.c:30:
> /construction/xports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.0.26/src/=
recompiler/target-i386/exec.h:41:30:
> error: global register variables are not supported
> register struct CPUX86State *env asm(AREG0);
>                              ^
> (the full log is available in (1)). The closest I could find is stated
> in a posting from 2012 (2) where a similiar issue from seems to occur
> when Virtualbox is compiled with clang and not gcc. Not sure is this
> still applies today but Makefile seems still to refer --with-gcc.
>
> Some observations:
> * the build issue started when I included multimedia/kdenlive to the
> to-be-built port list
> * both ports (kdenlive and virtualbox-ose) share the Qt4 dependency
> * synth is building each port in a clean chroot, builds dependencies
> first and does a pkg install for them in the clean chroot where
> virtualbox-ose is built
> * kdenlive is built in order before virtualbox-ose, so Qt4 dependency
> build seems to be triggered from kdenlive
>
> Has anyone on this list an idea what is going wrong here?
>
> Thanks in advance & best regards,
> Matthias
>

> (1) https://dev.petermann-it.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/RpnDYYiyYSCjenb
> (2) http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd-emulation/2012-04/msg00108.html

The automated FreeBSD package building with poudriere produced the same err=
or
last night for FreeBSD 10.3.

Since about a year the port uses a mixture of clang and gcc because clang d=
oes
not support global register variables. On the other side building all
ports with clang
but only vbox with gcc created issues in KDE.

The result are a couple of patches from jkim which are not supported
at all but use
both compilers in a mix. Might be they need to be fixed after the
update to vbox 5.0.

--=20
Bernhard Fr=C3=B6hlich
http://www.bluelife.at/