Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 12:48:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: wchar_t definition...

>This was on snap950322 with XFree86-3.1.
>
>While compiling the stock xdvi (xdvk-1.18f) I got the following errors:
>
>In file included from xdvi.h:22,
>                 from config.h:43,
>                 from xdvi.c:86:
>/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h:74: conflicting types for `wchar_t'
>/usr/include/stdlib.h:50: previous declaration of `wchar_t'

Thas issue has come up before.  As I said then, wchar_t is only defined
in Xlib.h when X_WCHAR is defined (when X_WCHAR isn't defined, <stddef.h>
is included to get the wchar_t definition), and that will only get defined
if X_NOT_STDC_ENV is defined.  This is not defined by default for
FreeBSD, so find out where it is getting defined and fix that.

>In file included from xdvi.h:24,
>                 from config.h:43,
>                 from xdvi.c:86:
>/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xos.h:107: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
>/usr/include/stdio.h:244: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
>*** Error code 1

This is also because X_NOT_STDC_ENV is somehow incorrectly being defined.

>and so on. Apart the obvious thing (fix the application), should we fix
>the (XFree) header files so that they are consistent with ours ?

I don't believe that there is anything to fix in this respect in the
X11R6 headers.

David