Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:47:40 +0000
From:      Tony Alexander <kojak@i.am>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with installing kernel

 Heya Guys,

  I have a problem installing a new built kernel. Basically everything
seems fine and chillin right up to when the kernel begins to change the
root device or so I gather, here is the output:-

> Intel Pentium F00F detected, installing workaround

> fault virtual address       = 0x824448b
> fault code          = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf0125eba
> stack pointer               = 0x10:0xf0280f74
> frame pointer               = 0x10:0x824448b
> code segment                = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process             = 0 (swapper)
> interrupt mask              =
> trap number         = 12
> panic: page fault

> syncing disks... done

Now I'm pretty certain that I havent screwed anything up in my kernel
configuration file but maybe I am missing something?

Here is some information about how my FreeBSD partition is organised:-

$ df

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s3a     31743    19792     9412    68%    /
/dev/wd0s3f    682263   215770   411912    34%    /usr
/dev/wd0s3e     29751     1681    25690     6%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

The config entry in the kernel config file is as follows:-

config		kernel	root on wd0

Now although when I type df the swap partition isnt listed I know there is
one on wd0s3b with about 73MB (I have 32MB of memory) when I installed
FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE. Also my old kernel still works fine.

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.

Tony