Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:27:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        karl@Denninger.Net (Karl Denninger), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd - VERY old folks, how about updating? :-)

> In message <200001020029.QAA16793@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "Rodney W. Grimes" writes
> :
>
> >Does it help in the 3.4-stable version to set the second value in ntpdrift
> >to 1?
>
> Yes, although I have never checked all the boundary conditions
> to make sure the kernel-pll is stable over the entire envelope.
>
> I'm doing that for the NTPv4/nanokernel combo, and I'm resolving
> the problems I find with Dave Mills.

Keep up the work, hopefully it can be MFC'd soon....

> >And why has the manual page never been updated, it is clearly wrong
> >when it talks about the contents of driftfile!  :-(
>
> I updated neither the manpage nor the code because of the above.
>
> >> Anyway, ntpd4 is in CURRENT...
> >
> >Well... that won't help the 20 or so boxes here doing this all the
> >time:
> >Jan  1 11:26:46 gndrsh xntpd[133]: time reset (step) -0.217546 s
> >Jan  1 11:32:06 gndrsh xntpd[133]: time reset (step) 0.207523 s
>
> 	(-0.217546 - 0.207523) / (14 + 5 * 60 + 6) = -.001328340
>
> Your clock is too sick, (or our calibration of it is hosed), no
> version of {X}NTP will touch a clock which is outside +/- 500ppm.

I see this on 20 systems... so we need to do some work, even if
the clocks really are off that much as it seems this is going to
be quite common.

> Could you try to measure the 14.31818... MHz base frequency and
> the 32768 kHz wristwatch xtal as well (I know you're RadioActive,
> so I pressume you have a counter ?)

I'll have to wait tell later this week when I am out at the place
all the RadioActive toys are to get my hands on a counter.  Alls I
have hear are scopes and DMM's, and the scope hasn't seen a cal lab
in 20+ years, so I don't trust it for anything like this. :-)

> If they're both OK, then we have a code problem...

I'll let you know what I find.  Just for grins I restarted a few of
them with driftfile="0 1" to see what it does... can't hurt me much :-)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net