Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:50:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Durka <gdurka@mail.monmouth.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no ftp

On Wednesday, 12 August 1998 at  3:34:11 +0000, Greg Durka wrote:
> My system is a 486dx IBM clone desktop. I installed freebsd 2.2.7 from a
> dos directory, using the .bin files for the kernel and the manual. The
> installation disk would not ftp transfer the files from your website even
> after the internet connection was made manually, with the "term" function.
> It returned the error message: "Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'."
>  The hostname was not ftp.freebsd.org, it was gdurka.monmouth.com. The
> domain name was monmouth.com.
>
> After installation, the ppp program seems to connect to the internet OK,
> but the ftp command will not login to any website. The following is a sample:
>
> gdurka# ppp
> Working in interactive mode
> Using interface: tun0
> ppp ON gdurka> dial n
> Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0 errno: Network is unreachable
> Dial attempt 1 of 1
> Phone: 842-1079
> dial ok!
> login ok!
> ppp ON gdurka> packet mode (This is returned by the program. Please note
> that ppp is in lower case, not upper case.)
> ppp ON gdurka> shell
> gdurka> ftp
> ftp> open ftp.roxen.com
> ftp: ftp.roxen.com: unknown host
>
> or
>
> ftp> open 194.52.182.8
> ftp: connect: no route to host
>
> The host.conf file lists: bind, hosts. In that order. I tried it with
> hosts, bind, that didn't work. In the hosts file I tried:
>
> 10.0.0.1             gdurka.monmouth.com gdurka
>
> and
>
> ISP's DNS number     gdurka.monmouth.com gdurka
>
> Neither worked.
>
> I want to get rid of msdos and windows, but I can't until this program is
> running satisfactorily. In order to run an internet browser, and xwindows,
> the programs have to be downloaded from the net. Any advice would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

Sure.  Did you get my reply to your previous message about this?
According to my mail logs, you did:

Aug 11 09:05:47 allegro sendmail[11642]: JAA11640: to=<gdurka@mail.monmouth.com>, delay=00:00:14, xdelay=00:00:12, mailer=esmtp, relay=mail.monmouth.com. [205.231.236.9], stat=Sent (TAA28748 Message accepted for delivery)

I gave you a lot of suggestions in that message.  I'd advise you to
act on them.  It doesn't help anybody to ignore the advice and go off
looking in other places.  If you've lost the message, contact me
privately and I'll bounce it.

Greg