Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        shovey@buffnet.net (Stephen Hovey)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, root@buffnet.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Slowdown (fwd)

Stephen Hovey wrote:

> If I ftp to ftp.cdrom.com using a freebsd on my ethernet ring to theirs,
> I can connect ok, and things seem ok, unless I cd and ls too many times.
> I can maybe do 10 or 15 commands, and then it stalls.  I can issue ls and
> it returns back like there are no files there or something.  But I can cd
> and ls till Im blue with one of my sco's connected to that same ftp server.
>
> If I have a web site installed on a freebsd wherein the pages contains a
> lot of large graphics, they will come over half way and stall.  Moving to
> sco or linux and it stops stalling.
>
> You dont ever get an error message in any of this - just a stall, as
> though the requested action completed, even though it didnt.

	sounds like you have:

	problems with several applications (all TCP)
	problems with several machines
	slower machines function better

	which ethernet cards?
	are all these machines inside buffnet.net?

	your report is VERY unusual.  a paper was just presented at USENIX
	this winter by two linux fans.  they stated that the tcp/ip code
	in FreeBSD is better and works faster--higher thruput.

	http://plastique.stanford.edu/~laik/benchmarks/index.html

	mary baker and kevin lai are NOT FreeBSD fans.

	are you sure that the problem does not lie in your configuration?

	can you provide more detailed information.  dmesg output ??