Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:32:25 +0000
From:      Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: what happened to linuxflashplugin?

> From: danny@ricin.com
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:16:56 +0100
> Subject: Re: what happened to linuxflashplugin?
>=20
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 00:27:53 Da Rock wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:50:40 -0500
>>> From: chuckr@chuckr.org
>>> To: jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za
>>> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>>> Subject: Re: what happened to linuxflashplugin?

>>> You know, there are some folks out there who are still using their old
>>> M32 TTY's, and they can't understand why any folks would need mouses.=20
>>> Those of us who have successfully made the move to the 21st century can
>>> tell them, but honestly, most of us are very tired of hearing the same
>>> hoary old excuses why things aren't necessary.  The majority of folks
>>> doing browsing today aren't impressed that maybe some 3rd world country
>>> is unhappy with flash sites, they just want their flash sites to work,
>>> and ours don't.  Why don't they?  Because everytime someone comes up wi=
th
>>> a workable plan, all the real cave-men out there trot out there
>>> war-stories, and bore us all to death with their memoirs, and endlessly
>>> recursive arguments.  Everytime they get proven wrong on one item, they
>>> just move the clock back a few months, grab the previous
>>> self-justification, and start the argument all back up again.  You can'=
>>> out-last them.
>>>
>>> I personally tried to fix things, got soundly beaten to death over it
>>> (and I WILL NOT try that one again, under pain of death, sorry!).  MY
>>> flash works here and that's all I will worry about.  I can't predict wh=
en
>>> things will finally improve, maybe when enough folks realize they don't
>>> have to put up with this.

>> That was a right pretty speech there, and I agree with the sentiments of
>> moving forward with technology. However, I disagree that this is merely =
>> case backward compatibility. Are you aware that the w3 consortium has we=
>> accessibility drafting committee?
>>
>> Consider also the facts that I have brought forward that Adobe has singl=
ed
>> out OS's that are not allowed to run Flash Player.
>>
>> Consider also the fact that most designers simply use flash because they
>> can't design properly and use other more accessible methods to achieve t=
he
>> same thing.
>>
>> I agree that a fix needs to be found, but this is not a "cave man"
>> mentality, and we're not bringing up old war stories. The fact that this
>> has not been all that successful given the larger number of sites now
>> designed with flash player 9 which has been the number one problem here.=
 If
>> you have a fix I am sure we would all welcome the knowledge and use it- =
>> certainly would. I merely point out (hopefully reaching some web designe=
rs
>> and other flash fans) that flash is not the only way to go, and is
>> certainly not preferable.
>=20
> Let me be the one to point out the (next) controversial thing: here's a=20
> perfect example why using linux binaries for stuff like this is a dead en=
d.
>=20
> And don't even start about the PC-BSD folks who want to make flash9 work.=
...=20
> via WINE.
>=20
> We need a native flash or a replacement for the animation side, and where=
=20
> flash is merely used as a video container, we have not option but to use=
=20
> youitube-dl, miro, and the like. But there too, some native solution is=20
> needed, otherwise it will continue to work like crap if at all.
>=20
> Dan
>=20
rg"

Here Here! Now how do we enforce it?

I can understand why flash is used for the movie side of things- copyright =
and compression (although there is a way around the copyright biz, and ther=
e is other compression options). But what most lazy designers do is use fla=
sh for all the "pretty things" in site design instead of doing things using=
 css and javascript. That is the problem which needs to be corrected for th=
e most part. If you need animation what happened to gif? (let me know if th=
ere is another format other than gif)

Incidentally how did you fix the flash prob for yourself (post off list if =
you feel you need to)? I'm extremely interested as I don't want to have to =
rely on my linux laptops to get flash sites. (I need linux until I figure o=
ut how to fix a tv card issue- at least they will work somewhat on them)

New music from the Rogue Traders - listen now!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=3Dclick&clientID=3D832&r=
eferral=3DhotmailtaglineOct07&URL=3Dhttp://music.ninemsn.com.au/roguetrader=
s=