Date:      Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:17:17 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bri <brian@ukip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

Bri wrote:
> Hi I have a Cable and have a Cable Modem for my internet connection of which
> you use dhcp to obtain an IP address great but this only seems to work
> successfully on a Windows machine I've registered all the other mac
> addresses of unix boxes and Apple macs I have and they seem to have alot of
> difficulty obtaining IP addresses. Especially the UNIX machines which run
> FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE or 5.0-CURRENT on sparc64 at the moment the sparc64 box
> which is a Sun Ultra 5 which is the worst for detecting an IP with dhclient.
>
> What I would really like to know is what does the windows dhcp do
> differently than say dhclient.
>
> I would be very interested to know as I would like a UNIX machine that can
> maintain and IP address.

Use the same exact NIC.

Often, once the cable company sees a MAC address, it filters all
other MAC addresses from getting a lease from your wire.

The intent of this is to prevent people grabbing more than one
lease simultaneously, or running more than one machine at a time.

Ask Julian Elisher.  He had exactly this problem with a machine
in San Francisco, 2 years ago.

Note: If you ask, he will say "Yes, I had exactly this problem";
he won't tell you anything you can do about it, except "Use the
same exact NIC", because that's really the only fix.

-- Terry