Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:22:56 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 02:14:04AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Darren Reed wrote:
> >

> > For what it's worth, I think releasing 4.0 *without* IPv6 support
> > is a mistake.  Why ?  Because in < 12 months FreeBSD 5.0 will be
> > released *with* IPv6 support (I'd count IPv6 as being a big enough
> > change to signify a major release number change).  If that doesn't
> > happen, then FreeBSD is chasing the wrong goals, IMHO.
> >
> > Personally, I think the timeline laid down - 25(?) days from now
> > until 4.0 release is too aggressive.  Given that the announcement
> > (to me) seemed to be rather autocratic and possibly driven by
> > marketting factors ("we need 4.0 out now regardless" ?) than by
> > the general stability and maturity of -current.  Well, that's the
> > impression I get from an announcement encouraging people to do
> > heavy testing in the next 10 days.  I would encourage Jordan and
> > others to have a rethink about the timeframe for 4.0 and what plans
> > they have for it feature wise.
>
> I agree with this..
> I think that 4.0 is clsoe but it's just not there yet.
> I think it needs IPV6 to have reached a better milestone, and certainly
> the stuff that warner is doing (and others) needs to be a little
> further down the track.

In my opinion, whether the present plans for 4.0-RELEASE is
appropriate or not somewhat depends on what the further plans are for
the release engineering.

I believe putting down RELENG_4 without having a finished IPv6 and
functional laptop support (I'm not sure what state this is in right
now) would be a bad idea.

> I think we should layout a plan of everything that everyone is
> working on and try find a natural inflection point. I reallu thing
> that IPV6 is too important to make a release with it "half"
> implemented.

If somebody is up to organizing it, it would be nice to have an
overview of what everybody would like to put in before we decide to
put down a branch.  However, given how much variance most of us has in
how much effort (or at least results) we're able to push into FreeBSD,
it is somewhat hard to create clear lines for things, so we might have
to be satisfied with lining up some of the most important things.

Eivind.