Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:49:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Issues with './MAKEDEV snd'

In list.freebsd-stable David Uhring <duhring@charter.net> wrote:
 > On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > In list.freebsd-stable mi@aldan.algebra.com, wrote:
 > >  > Which means, he should not have ``device pcm0'' in the kernel -- only
 > >  > ``device pcm''. Right?
 > >
 > > I believe it doesn't make a difference.
 > > (Someone correct me please if I'm wrong.)
 >
 > I'm afraid it really does make a difference.  I was using a SB 16 and when I
 > did a ./MAKEDEV snd0, I could not get the card to work.

Read the question again please -- it was about whether
the device entry in the _kernel_ makes any difference
(``device pcm0'' vs. ``device pcm'').

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)