Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:31:18 +0100
From:      Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@gmail.com>
To:        curtis@occnc.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ekiga3 and webcamd working (was: [FreeBSD 8/9] USB webcamd and  video4bsd: Call for testing)

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> wrote:

> In message <201002030142.51719.jkim@FreeBSD.org>
> Jung-uk Kim writes:
>>
>> On Wednesday 03 February 2010 12:46 am, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

>> > That looks similar to the code in there already. =A0Did you take this
>> > from netbsd or from the latest code on the ekiga web site since
>> > this looks a lot like the code that comes with the dist?
>>
>> No, I did it from scratch. =A0I'll take a look at upstream patches
>> later.
>
> You had the same patch for OSS that I had with a different PTRACE
> after it.
>
> The patch in plugins/vidinput_v4l2/vidinput_v4l2.cxx that you had
> looked a lot like the code in the existing dist, but on looking at it,
> it is different.
>
> Sometimes great minds think alike. =A0You and whoever did the netbsd
> patch wrote similar code. =A0I just glanced at your patches when I wrote
> the comment that they looked similar.
>
> It looks like you have quite a bit more patches than the code I needed
> to look at to get this to work.

>> > I followed the mplayer lead and added a second entry.
>>
>> That's fine. =A0I was just being lazy. :-)
>>
>> Jung-uk Kim
>
> The point is ekiga3 now works better with OSS and works with webcamd
> with almost no changes.
>
> It looks like you have the library part fixed in your Makefile and
> files/patch-plugins_vidinput_v4l_Makefile.in patches in the handling
> of LDFLAGS. =A0I cheated and did a setenv LDFLAGS as a workaround but
> you've done it the right way.

I was wondering how about using fuse for exposing the nodes to enduser
applications?
Cuse (Character device in Userspace) which is an extension to fuse
also supports ioctl transport with linux.
It will probably soon affect our project since we are about to release
a FreeBSD driver for USB DVB-C/T/analogTV/FM Radio device soon.
http://support.sundtek.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html
I have no idea how the other dvb devices work on FreeBSD, our package
comes with it's own stack which emulates the existing linux-dvb
v0.3/S2-API/video4linux1/2 stack.

Markus