Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:41:00 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DjVu from ATT

> 	I ran it on a Win95 box, using the Netscape Plug-In, and
> considering how much smaller the file is from a similar jpeg (~1/6 in some
> cases), I would imagine that the savings in downloading would offset the
> decompression, no?  And, with more and more ppl using faster computers for
> their 'primary system', decompressing becomes less of an issue then
> bandwidth.
Oh yeah, it looked very good considering the compression it gets, and I am
definatly interested in getting a FreeBSD port :)
I'll test it at home on my P233, which should be more suitable :)

> (by AT&Ts claims of 5 to 10x better compression then Jpeg), that much less
> data (image wise) being strewn across the 'Net...
Yes, but from reading the info on the compression scheme it is only suitable
for low colour pictures which require crispness (eg text), whereas jpeg is
better for pictures with lots of colour (eg images of people etc)
Still, I'm just guessing and haven't tried it :)

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |