Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:07:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <stableuser@larseighner.com>
To:        Schiz0 <schiz0phrenic21@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Schiz0 wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm wondering how you can increase the resolution of the console in
> FreeBSD stable. I have read the man page on vidcontrol and googled around
> a bit, but I'm still confused about what to do. I'm currently running
> FreeBSD in VMWare on a windows machine (But that'll change as soon as I
> learn enough to put it up my server, which currently runs linux). I'd like
> to have something like 1024x768 resolution or so. Also, the man pages
> mention something about VESA modules. What exactly is this, and do I need
> it? My kernel is currently compiled without support for it. Would I need
> to recompile my kernel again?

You're question does not quite make sense.  "Console" is more or less the
FreeBSD word for "boss text-mode terminal." It has nothing to do with what a
terminal window might look like in a GUI such as Windows or X.  The first
question is what *text* modes does your hardware support.  I don't know of
video hardware that supports 1024x768 raster text.  If your hardware
supports it and you want the VESA modes, you can compile VESA support
into the kernel (which you should do if you use it just about all the time)
or it can be load dynamically (see man 4 vga).  Ditto for 90 column VGA.
Most of the console modes are regular vga text modes and they are usually
expressed in terms of lines(high) x columns(wide), for example the standard
25x80.

I suspect you do not really want a console resolution of 1024x768 (px).
I suspect you want 1024x758 in a GUI, in which case you need to be
researching X as vidcontrol has nothing to do with that.