Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:52:30 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, "Benjamin T. George" <beng@thekeyboard.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accessing Virus Infected (Boot Sector) HDD

At 01:22 PM 4/26/99 , Jonathan E. Lyons wrote:
>Have you tried ndd.exe (older version of norton disk doctor) you may get
>lucky and be able to rebuild the FAT table..
>
>At 01:02 PM 4/26/99 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
>>Not likely. Your first MB is where FAT, directory, and boot
>>information go. You can recover the boot but the FAT and directory are
>>gone forever. Since not all of your files will be loaded in contiguous
>>locations, the random offsets are gone forever.

FAT partitions (FAT32 definetely, but i think FAT16 also) are supposed to
have 2 copies of the FAT table. I've seen scandisk copy one copy of the FAT
over the other when one of them goes bad. I don't think scandisk could save
you from a lost partition table too.

Another alternative to Norton Disk Doctor is a product called Tiramisu,
available from On-Track data recovery's web page. You can download it and
install it to a floppy, run it, and see if it can recover any data. If it
can, you call On-Track and they give you a registration code (in return for
your credit card number). Then it recovers to another hard drive you have
plugged in. I've used it (at the computer store where I work) to retrieve
data from a drive that's been fdisked, formatted (not a quick-format, mind
you), and Win98 installed on top of it. Quite impressive.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441