Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:59:31 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ordering FreeBSD wireless kit today...

Ken Key <key@KSquared.NET> probably said:
> I haven't had my hands on an RG-1000 yet, but I have Lucent AP-1000's
> all over the place.  Assuming the RG-1000 uses the same code-base, these
> are KarlNet boxes, just like the Apple AirPort.  Unfortunately, just like
> the Apple AirPort, they have some vendor specific modifications.  The
> AP-1000's are managed via a Windows-only Access Point Manager.  I tried
> the Java AirPort manager and, not too suprisingly, it can discover the boxes
> but not configure them.  Likewise, the Lucent AP Manager discovers
> Apple AirPorts but won't manage them.  I've tried to challenge one of
> my Java programming co-workers into working on a port of the AirPort
> manager to control the Lucent boxes, but we just don't have the time
> right now.

As I've said on this list before, the RG-1000 is basicly the same guts
as an airport, but with stupid firmware limitations.

They're slowly losing some of the limitations in newer firmware (like
you can actually change the SNMP communitity string now (*Gasp*) but
they still suck.

The java airport manager will control the RG-1000. Mostly.

>   http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/
> Of course, that means no 128-bit WEP at home.  However, the WEP only means
> that everyone else on your network can sniff your packets, as opposed to
> everyone else passing by.  It's not real security, just a barrier to
> entry :-)

My _strong_ recommendation for home use, even if you want 128bit WEP,
is the Airport. I would never buy an RG-1000 again.

You can open it up, put a gold card in it and use the 128bit Java
configurator. I've been doing this for some time now.

> > and the Wavelan Orinoco PC card gold ($180).
> That's what I use.  Widely and happily.

Ditto.

P.

--