Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 11:13:07 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        gabor@acm.org (Gabor Kincses)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in probe, but no dump

As Gabor Kincses wrote:

> > Well, the normal sequence is to use `dumpon'.  This is also supported
> > by /etc/sysconfig.
>
> AFAIK that is not an option here, since we are not executing /etc/rc,
> yet.

Right.  In this case, you need the `dumps on' clause.

Hey, btw., you can only dump into a configured and/or active swap
partition.  So, you also need a `swap on' clause!

j@uriah 693% fgrep kernel /sys/i386/conf/URIAH
config          kernel  root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd1 dumps on sd1

> I did.  Before I started all this.  It seems that once I can single step
> or have a dump it will print the addresses.  In xdb I can 'td' (toggle
> disassembly) and voila I see the machine instructions with line numbers
> next to the ones that start a line.  I'm looking for a similar feature.

Seems you gotta contribute this to gdb yet.  It shouldn't be too hard,
since gdb can already handle all of the details (see the ``info line''
and ``disas'' commands).  You ``only'' need to combine them.

> That is good info, I didn't see anything like that.  The panic message
> printed the current EIP, then "waiting 15 seconds to reboot" or
> something like that.

That means it didn't find the dumpdev.

> 20.3. call diediedie().  I'll try that.  ddb looks fairly similar to adb
> on HP-UX.  Probably share roots, too.

Maybe.  HP-UX is said to be much BSD inside.

--
cheers, J"org