Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:14:22 -0400
From:      "Arthur P. Pesa" <apesa@bellsouth.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   install help

I have come upon a problem which I can not seem to overcome. I am trying to install 2.2.2-release on a rather average intel 486/dx4100 / 16M/1.6Gb system with an ethernet connection to a small tcp based network. The HD controller is a promise eide. controller, EIDE 3200plus. I have run win95 and NT 40 on this box as well as win 3.11. and Linux. I want a dedicated FreeBSD installation, no boot manager just FreeBSD. This is going to replace my Linux machine. The problem I am having occurs during an ftp installation from a local ftp server (NT server 4.0) I complete the visual kernel config, I deactivate any drivers I know I will not need. During probe everything is found corectly. I allocate the entire disk to freeBSD...I am not prompted to choose a bootmanager, as expected. I go to disk label editor and choose A then Q, just the defaults. I then choose #1 Developer from the dist menu and proceed to go to the ftp installation, choose my own ftp server via ip address no names. The install then begins to create the file system, holo shell, logs onto my ftp server and starts to copy the bin dist to / . This is where it always fails.. although not at the same place each time. During the bin dist copy I get a dump, which for a breif moment I am able to witness everything it does not enjoy. Namely:

ANIC: segment not present fault
Fatal Trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode
Fault: Supervisor read page not present.

It almosts sounds like a memory problem, ie corrupt simms etc. I have popped diferent simms in to see if that would help. It made no difference. I have also tried another disk, no help. I do have an Adaptec vlb scsi controller bus mastering type, but I need a scsi disk to install it. That makes the controller the only thing I have not tried to replace, lack of disk...  I have run this install 10 - 15 times, once I made it to 97% of the way before it crapped out. I thought I had it. I am sure I will not be able to get this up and running without some info from the source. For the record I have read the online help from the boot floppy as well as spent several days looking at comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc , I have also scoured the Raleigh, NC area for the FreeBSD book. I will probably have to buy it from Walnut Creek.

It is imposible to lsit all the things I have tried during the install. If you could point me in the right direction I am certain I will suceed. Thanks for your help.. Arthur Pesa.