Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2019 17:31:13 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/llvm80 port on 12.1

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 04:42:07PM +0100, Lars Engels wrote:
> I'm trying reduce the size of the NomadBSD image and the biggest
> installed package is devel/llvm80 with 848 MiB.
> llvm80 is a dependency of graphics/mesa-dri which is needed for
> x11-servers/xorg-server.
>=20
> Looking at the llvm version of 12.1-RELEASE in base I see that it is the
> same version like the installed port:
>=20
> $ /usr/bin/clang --version
> FreeBSD clang version 8.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_801/final 366581) (based on LLV=
M 8.0.1)
> Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.1
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir: /usr/bin
>=20
> $ /usr/local/llvm80/bin/clang --version
> clang version 8.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_801/final)
> Target: x86_64-portbld-freebsd12.0
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir: /usr/local/llvm80/bin
>=20
> So it looks like on 12.1 the mesa-dri port can use the base llvm instead
> of the one from ports and save all people running Xorg almost 1 GB of
> disk space?

Nope.  Mesa uses LLVM library ABIs which provide NO stability guarantees
so we can not publish them as part of the release without locking the
branch to a single LLVM version for the 5-year life (we effectively
tried that with 10.x, it was terrible with many ports requiring workarounds
for the increasingly obsolete base compiler).

If you want to save space here, help out on the subpackage work so you only
need to depend on the libraries.  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16457

-- Brooks

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn--