Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:39:35 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

Jamie writes:

> That doesn't necesarrily necesarily make the
> comments any less valid.

It doesn't make them more valid, either.  In fact, comments like that are
usually devoid of any real validity, and reflect only personal preferences.

> "people at microsoft" are paid to work there.
> "people on freebsd-advocacy" are there because
> of their experience with FreeBSD

Same thing.  Both groups have a bias, with rare exceptions.

> But in the post I responded to, you didn't
> use "usually" ...

Since absolute statements are the exception rather than the rule (and I
normally qualify them as such when making them, personally), "usually" can
be assumed.

> Such an extreme statement is not "rational
> advocacy" in my opinion.

It's not extreme at all.  What is extreme is tossing out or avoiding working
solutions in order to yield to an emotional attachment to some piece of
software.  I see it all the time, with people trying to do unreasonable
things with Windows, UNIX, or the Mac (or any number of other software
products).  It's surprising how attached people become to their favorite
software or even their favorite vendors; eventually they are willing to do
anything to get their preferred software to work, no matter how ill-suited
it might be to their purposes.