Date:      12 Nov 2001 23:06:00 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@molemanarmy.com>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: slightly OT: Unix MTA vs Exchange

Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar> writes:

> A friend of mine is trying to convince his boss to migrate from M$ Exchange
> to BSD runing Sendmail or Postfix and IMAP. He says BSD is better because
> it uses standard protocols, it is more stable, it uses less hardware
> resources, etc but the boss wants to see some docs with comparisons between
> both setups. Does anybody have any pointers to (web|magazine|whatever)
> articles comparing Exchange with a Unix MTA?

Just a word of warning here. If all they are using Exchange for is
mail, then no problems. Something like exim or postfix with an LDAP
server for the address book should sort everything out.

If however, they are using it for shared calendaring or the calendar
and mail client integration, be careful. I don't know of any
applications on Unix platforms that provide this kind of 'groupware'.

If anyone has any information to contradict this, I'd be interested to
hear it. I'd love to be able to punt a decent alternative to Exchange.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
freebsd@molemanarmy.com          |
http://www.molemanarmy.com       |