Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 02:14:45 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: More panics (different hardware)

Jordan and List,

> Still, you've proven there's a clear bad interaction here.  Thanks!

You're welcome, I think.

Before I go crashing my box, collecting debugging output and core dumps, I
wanted to make sure this will be helpful. Please let me know.

This is something which I find a bit confusing. FDESC is in LINT with all
the "safe" filesytems, unlike DEVFS which has has something of a warning
above it. I know that UNION has warning and that the fdesc filesystem uses
a union mount but... I don't have UNION in my kernel!

To clarify, fdesc(5) mentions that it requires a union mount, however LINT
does not specify any UNION dependency and clearly mounting fdesc "mostly
works" without even having UNION in the kernel.

Just to add to the confusion, mount_std(8) considers fdesc ``standard'',
defining ``standard'' to include union mounts. This is, of course, a
semantic issue, not a technical one.

I can't tell whether I'm missing a piece of the puzzle or if there really
is a discrepancy. If it's a documentation issue, I'd be happy to offer a
diff for LINT - if I understand what's going on, that is.

-Andrew-