Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:58:15 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        Rong-en Fan <grafan@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: process hang in zfs->io_ ?

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

> I'm running current as of 20080130 on an amd64 box. I can make
> processes stuck in zfs->io_ (output truncated in ddb and top) when I
> make some packages via ports tinderbox. The ports tinderbox access
> local disk via nfs (I also tried nullfs).
>=20
> ddb output of ps and alltrace can be found at
>=20
> http://www.rafan.org/FreeBSD/zfs/textdump.zfs.20090130.txt
>=20
> Any ideas?

A workaround is to disable the ZIL (vfs.zfs.zil_disable=3D"1"), if you
can afford that on the system in question. It will break the
durability of fsync(), but retain it's write barrier semantics.

Btw, does anyone have a good grasp of the status of this bug? I have
seen vague referenced to it being a memory related deadlock for
example, but that's about it. Is the cause known but difficult to fix,
or just unknown?

--=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'