Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:40:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        r3cgm@cdrom.com (Christopher G. Mann)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unusual CAM Error w/FreeBSD 3.1 (tosha)

Christopher G. Mann wrote...
> Greetings FreeBSD SCSI Team,
>
> Two days ago, I installed FreeBSD 3.1 from CDROM (we get them 2 weeks
> earlier than anyone else, neener neener).  :)  I immediately set up
> cvsup for my /ports and /src tree to run daily.  Yesterday I installed
> tosha from /ports.  Some time ago I wrote a utility to rip audio tracks
> and encode them, and I parse "tosha -i" output to determine how many
> songs there are.
>
> Recently I purchased a "slot-in" Pioneer CDROM drive... 32x SCSI.  It
> didn't work with my old system at all (which was originally installed as
> 2.2.5 and make world'ed every week or so until I finally nuked it).  I
> would frequently get fatal SCSI read errors with it that eventually
> would make the system unstable enough so that I would have to reboot.
> The CAM support in 3.x seems to have solved that problem.
>
> I can mount the cdrom drive, I can dd images from it, I can even use
> workman to play tunes like a pro, but the simple act of using tosha to
> get info from any audio CD generates weird cam errors.

I must say I'm quite perplexed by this one.

> [beacon.cdrom.com : r3cgm] ~ - tosha -i
> tosha: cam_lookup_pass: couldn't open /dev/xpt0
> cam_lookup_pass: Permission denied
>
> [beacon.cdrom.com : r3cgm] ~ - ls -l /usr/local/bin/tosha
> -rwsr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  21304 Feb 18 03:07 /usr/local/bin/tosha
>
> [beacon.cdrom.com : r3cgm] ~ - su -m
> Password:
>
> %tosha -i
> tosha: cam_lookup_pass: couldn't open /dev/xpt0
> cam_lookup_pass: Permission denied
>
> %tosha -i -d /dev/cd0a
> tosha: cam_lookup_pass: couldn't open /dev/xpt0
> cam_lookup_pass: Permission denied
> %tosha -i -d /dev/cd0c
> tosha: cam_lookup_pass: couldn't open /dev/xpt0
> cam_lookup_pass: Permission denied
> %tosha -i -d /dev/cd1a
> tosha: cam_lookup_pass: couldn't open /dev/xpt0
> cam_lookup_pass: Permission denied
> %tosha -i -d /dev/cd1c
> tosha: cam_lookup_pass: couldn't open /dev/xpt0
> cam_lookup_pass: Permission denied
>
> %ls -l /dev/x*
> crw-------  1 root  operator  104,   0 Feb 16 16:56 /dev/xpt0
> crw-------  1 root  operator  104,   1 Feb 16 16:56 /dev/xpt1
> %ls -l /dev/pas*
> crw-------  1 root  operator   31,   0 Feb 16 16:56 /dev/pass0
> crw-------  1 root  operator   31,   1 Feb 16 16:56 /dev/pass1
> crw-------  1 root  operator   31,   2 Feb 16 16:56 /dev/pass2
> crw-------  1 root  operator   31,   3 Feb 16 16:56 /dev/pass3
>
> %fgrep "pass" /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BEACON
> device          pass0
>
> I have tried rebooting, but the behavior is the same.  Here is my dmesg
> VERBOSE output.  Please let me know if you can think of anything to try.

Can you try the following:

camcontrol devlist
camcontrol tur -n cd -u 0 -v

Do you have your securelevel set to anything non-standard?  (i.e., have you
set the kern.securelevel sysctl variable at all?)

As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the XPT device open routine that
could return EACCES (i.e. Permission denied).

Hopefully the camcontrol commands above will help us diagnose the problem a
little more...

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry