Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 15:09:41 -0600
From:      Irwan Hadi <irwanhadi@phxby.com>
To:        Jeff Jirsa <jeff@boris.st.hmc.edu>
Cc:        Irwan Hadi <irwanhadi@phxby.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server won't boot after recompile the kernel with ipfw support

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:39:03PM -0600, Jeff Jirsa wrote:

> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Irwan Hadi wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > compiled successfully. But why after I recompile the kernel for the
> > second time, with
> > options IPFIREWALL
> > options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> > options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10 according to
> > http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/firewalls.html, the server can't be
> > ping-ed anymore ?
> > I did check the configuration using /usr/bin/config my-kernel, and it
> > worked just fine, and there was no error in the make depend, and make
> > stage.
> > Does anyone has ever got the same problem ? May I know it A.S.A.P,
> > because the server is a colocated one, and I need to give instructions
> > to the person who is going to "fix" the server.
> >

> Did  you specify any of the firewall rules / configuration before
> rebooting? The default deny rules will keep you from connecting to the
> box until you set up new rules that will accept connections. You'll want
> to check and modify the firewall_ lines in /etc/defaults/rc.conf .

No I didn't because I'm accustomed on Linux that the default policy is
open, unless it is defined otherwise.

> The ipfw man page suggests being at the console when you enable the
> firewall for this precise reason.
>
> The way to fix this problem is to log in at the console (or have someone
> else do it for you) and add the following rule:
>
> ipfw add 100 allow ip from any to any
>

> This will open up the firewall, and allow you to connect. You'll no doubt
> want to delete that rule when you add your own custom rules. man ipfw(8)
> will help you when you get around to doing that.

Thanks for your info. I will ask the person who near with the server to
issue that command from the console then. BTW how can I keep the
firewall rules to be permanent on FreeBSD ? Put it on rc.firewall, or
create another script that runs everytime the server gets rebooted ?

Thanks