Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:53:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeff <iratus@home.com>
To:        Stefan Peter <stefan@omega.ailab.sztaki.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, iratus@home.com
Subject:   Re: startx

----------------------------------
E-Mail: jeff <iratus@home.com>
Date: 28-Jul-99
Time: 09:42:17
This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------
Hello-This is just a suggestion-kill xdm and working from a standard console
go to /usr/X1R6/lib/X11 and run xf86config. I am assuming that you already have
the vsync and hsync for your moniter. You will get to the video mode setup
screen for each color depth (i.e 8,16,24 and 32 bit color), set the modes for
each one as the instructions tell you. For instance, I use 1024x768 w/32 bit
color. Once you have completed this you can set the mode you want, based on the
color depth you want with a line in the screen section of your /etc/XF86Config
file like "DefaultColorDepth    16" (without the quotes) or any other depth
your vcard will support. Once this is completed you can test with startx or
just restart xdm. Hope this may help some.   Jeff Phillips