Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:43:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ronald Kuehn <kuehn@rz.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minimalist /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf Re: Security

In list.freebsd-questions you write:

> At 12:40 PM 2/4/98 -0800, Doug wrote:

> >We went berzerk in 2.2.x and disabled all of this already, and more (lpd
> >for instance).
> >
> >Don't play with /etc/services, netstat uses it to make your life easier.

> What does netstat do with it? Read it for port <-> name mappings?
> That I can live without.

> Attacking /etc/services, installing tcpd and then (of course)
> going over inetd.conf are pretty much the first things I do on
> any installation. Of any Unix.

> "Don't play with /etc/services" seems like pretty general advice
> not applicable in all (or perhaps even most) situations.

Again, "don't play with /etc/services". It's for mappings between
port numbers and service names only. It has nothing do to with services
you currently run. That's the job of inetd (/etc/inetd.conf) and
/etc/rc.* (for running standalone services).
Removing lines from /etc/services buys you nothing but trouble.

Bye,
  Ronald
--
Ronald Kuehn, TUC Rechenzentrum,  Erzstrasse 51,  D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld
<kuehn@rz.tu-clausthal.de> http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~inrk/  +49-5323-72-3896