Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 09:48:56 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   WD8013 problem

A while ago I reported a strangeness with connecting to one
of my machines. Strange is now that I can only observe
the effect with that one machine and gradually I'm beginning to
think it's hardware or a driver problem. Let me enumerate the
problems I have:

1/  Connecting from my remote 1.1.5.1 site via slip gives the following
    picture.
    $ telnet gil

    Trying 137.226.31.2...
    Connected to gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de.
    Escape character is '^]'.

       FreeBSD (gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de) (ttyp2)

    (note the missing login: prompt - it only appears when I type <cr>)

    Same telnet to a neighboured machine:
    $ telnet blues
    Trying 137.226.31.18...
    Connected to blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de.
    Escape character is '^]'.

       FreeBSD (blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de) (ttyp0)

    login:

    Prompt appears.

2/  Logging in from home from my KA9Q/NOS box via ISDN I get the
    login prompt but when typing my login name (kuku) it looks like:

    Connected to gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de.
    Escape character is '^]'.

       FreeBSD (gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de) (ttyp2)

    login:uku

    Note the missing first character k from my login name.I definitely
    typed it but it gets eaten up by something.
    Doing the same telnet to blues does not have this effect.

3/  Doing rlogin (also telnet I believe) sessions from gil to
    neighboured hosts often results in getting a connection refused,
    connection closed by foreign host the first time, rlogin the
    second time then works.

Now what is peculiar to gil ? The only thing I can see (beside
CPU, 20MB, 486/33) is a WD8013 EP card which the other hosts don't have
Im running a 2.1.0-950726-SNAP kernel on gil. The neighboured systems
(despite the remote SLIP site are 2.0.5 systems or -current ).

I'm clueless at this point. Maybe the next thing I'll do is
change the network adapter to a different type.