Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@axe-inc.co.jp>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, tanimura@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic growth of the buffer and buffer page reclaim

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> I do, however, like the page unwiring idea.  As long as it's not too
> expensive.  I have been somewhat disappointed that the buffer cache's
> buffers are hands off for the vm.  I'm confused about your approach
> though.  I think that the rewire function is unnecessary.  You could move
> this code into allocbuf() which would limit the number of times that you
> have to make a pass over this list and keep the maintenance of it in a
> more central place.  This would also remove the need for truncating the
> buf.

Bill Jolitz had a plan for 386BSD where all the buffers were nearly
always unmapped from KVM. He was going to have a number of slots
available for mapping them which would be used in a lifo order

The number of slots was going to be somehow tunable
but I don't remember the details.

When you wanted to access a buffer, it was mapped for you
(unless already mapped).. It would be unmapped when it's slot
was needed for something else. WHen you accessed a buffer already mapped
it would move it back to the top of the list.
Various events could pre-unmap a buffer. e.g. the related vm object was
closed. (0 references).