Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:06:21 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        rfg@monkeys.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I fix the ethernet card I/O address (?)

On Thu, Sep 11, 1997 at 12:14:02PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> So can somebody please tell me how to fix the base I/O address for the
> card in FreeBSD?

At the system boot prompt (when it pauses for a few seconds before the
twirling bar starts) enter

    -c

This will start the kernel hardware configuration utility. You can either
stick with the command line mode, or then type "visual" to enter the more
GUI oriented editor.

Use this to change the base address in the kernel to match reality. You
have two options (assuming you don't use the visual editor).

     port 0x300 device_name

where device_name is the name of your ethernet device, probably "ed0" or
similar, which will explicity set the address to 0x300.

Or you can try (and this used to work in earlier versions of FreeBSD, I
have no idea if it works now)

     port -1 device_name

which should try and read the value from the card, and use that.

You can then continue booting. As part of the boot process, this changed
value will be written into the kernel, so you won't need to do this the
next time you boot the machine. And when you build yourself a custom
kernel (see the instructions in the handbook for how to do this) you
can correct your original mistake for good.

PS: I'm pretty certain the command in question is called "port". I don't
have a handy machine I can reboot just to check though. Make sure you
read the config help information, available by typing "help" at the
config prompt (i.,e after you've typed "-c" and pressed return.
--
--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
        Diana, the roadkill formally known as Princess, 1961-1997    NC5-RIPE