Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:52:04 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        MIHIRA Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>, brucegb@realtime.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for quicktime codecs?

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> > The upshot is, you will not be able to play any Quicktimes you download
> > off of the net, as anything encoded in the past 2 to 3 years has used
> > the Sorenson codec.
>
> Is this codec really so great ?
> Has anybody ever compared it with MPEG at the same framerate ?

From my (completely unscientific) observations, the Sorenson Codec is
somewhat better than Indeo 5, especially at the high bitrates everybody
uses when they encode the Quicktimes.  Compared to MPEG2, I'd say they
are pretty similar, with the edge going to Sorenson (as the bitrates
invovled are usually a little low for MPEG2).  Quality is better than
your average MPEG1 however.  MPEG4 beats Sorenson pretty handily though,
although most peopel use poorly written a buggy MPEG4 codecs (DivX), so
you may get better results from Sorenson.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org