Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:12:12 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Zev Thompson" <zev@interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject:   Re: firewall and natd configurations (ICQ specifically)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:25:29 -0700, Zev Thompson wrote:

>I've been having troubles with ICQ and natd as well, I've set up a range of
>tcp ports to take incoming requests, which forward just fine (I can receive
>files etc.) but connections to the icq login server on port 4000 (udp) do
>not seem to stay active; ie. I disconnect & reconnect to the server
>periodically.
>
>In my icq firewall settings I've set up a 30 second timeout, and modified
>some sysctl variables to try and prevent this from happening, but I'm
>stuck. Natd works great otherwise. Any suggestions?

what i did was setup a socks5 server for AIM and ICQ.  I had to forward
WinMX through the NATd myself though.  if you need help setting up
socks5 you can drop me a line.

i dont know how secure socks is, but i am sure someone will through in
their 2cents

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net