Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:50:34 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: favor

Eric Kjeldergaard writes:

EK> Not always so, I know of many newspapers that go to subscribers only
EK> (which local libraries are often among).  This is especially true of
EK> places without newstands.

It doesn't matter where they go.  It only matters where they may be
expected to go by someone writing to the newspaper.

EK> I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding of media going on
EK> here.

A mailing list isn't the press.

EK> Newspapers are printed on newspaper which gives them a very
EK> short lifespan.

Most libraries and newspapers have archives going back for decades.

EK> More importantly, e-mail by its nature is delivered to mail servers
EK> which almost without exception store the mail to a persistent data
EK> store (often an hard disk). In this way, mail is archived (sometimes
EK> nearly permanently) and is not ephemeral at all.

These archives are not accessible to the general public.

Note that it is perfectly possible to set up a mailing list that forbids
local archiving, or any archiving at all.  Some mailing lists have good
reason to do this.

EK> Many also do not.

They take a greater risk.

EK> You city folk complicate things.

The larger the world, the more complex it becomes.  And the Internet
covers the planet.

--
Anthony